Job Description: The candidate will possess five years’ experience in maritime trade or military shipfitting discipline. The candidate must be able to comply with all applicable safety regulations, work under industrial repair conditions, work in confined spaces, and climb vertical/inclined ladders. The individual must be able to interpret naval drawings, joint designs, lay out shell, deck and bulkhead plates, I beams, channel bar, angle bar, and various foundation structures and other parts. Must be able to make rolls, bends, flanges, cuts and otherwise shape plates, beams and other heavy metal structural shapes using shop machinery and tools. Understanding of technical documents including controlled work procedures (CWP), formal work procedures (FWP), test documents, and reports is preferred.
Job Requirements/skill sets:
- Experienced (6+ years) Marine Mechanic (Prior Navy) with a complete understanding of production processes and specialty trades functions and tools.
- Full comprehension of standard industry safety procedures, Controlled Work Packages (CWP), Formal Work Packages (FWP).
- Provide basic shipfitting tools
- Successfully demonstrate the skills and ability to install and fit parts on ship
- Locate position of pieces by references to water lines, center lines, frame lines, buttock lines and other reference points.
- Set parts in proper position with assistance from Rigger.
- Align and adjust parts using jacks, turnbuckles, shorting, saddles, clips wedges, mauls and hammers.
- Line up parts for welding or riveting, install temporary fasteners a required.
- Mark holes to be drilled.
- Install packing, gaskets, liners and similar items where necessary.
- Straighten distorted parts using heating torches, mauls and sledgehammers.
- Remove and repair or replace damaged parts of ships structure.
- Ability to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight will be determined by the specific job but no less than 30 pounds.
- Ability to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces
- Ability to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May require wearing a respirator.
- As the ship is undergoing a mid-life refueling and complex overhaul, may be exposed to fumes and irritants including welding/burning fumes, paints, oils, greases and various cleaning solutions and solvents, noise, high heat and humidity hazards while wearing the required Personal Protective equipment (PPE)
- Apply understanding of production and processes to assignments
- Will be required to conduct on the job training for Sailors. The training will be conducted while affecting actual repairs to equipment on board ship.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, be eligible for a government security clearance and possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Education Requirements: Candidate must be graduates of a High School, Trade or Industrial School
EOE, including disability/vets