Job Description: QED Systems, an established engineering, planning, and ship modernization firm has an immediate opening in its Virginia Beach, VA office for a Structural Engineer/Naval Architect. The incumbent will provide engineering and technical services supporting the Program Office for the maintenance and modernization of In-Service Aircraft Carriers, (PEO Aircraft Carriers, PMS 312) supporting nuclear-powered aircraft carrier (CVN) Refueling Carrier Overhaul (RCOH) availabilities.
Job Requirements/skill sets: A minimum of 15 years’ experience including analyzing, research and developing structural engineering specifications. 15+ years of experience in working with Government organizations including Naval Sea Systems Command (i.e. – Engineering and Logistics Directorate (SEA 05)), Supervisor of Shipbuilding, Conversion and Repair, USN Newport News, VA, Aircraft Carrier Hull Planning Yards, etc. Experience working in public and/or private shipyards, and knowledge of SUPSHIP Operations Manual (SOM) (NAVSEA S0300-B2-MAN-010) is a plus.
Candidate must be familiar with US Navy nuclear-powered Aircraft Carrier systems, maintenance/modernization strategies and with the necessary interactions with all activities supporting an Aircraft Carrier maintenance availability. Proven ability to communicate effectively with senior Government Navy officers on policy and operational issues. Must be capable of working in a shipyard/industrial environment. Shipboard experience on a CVN and/or prior experience of direct support of a CVN maintenance availability is preferred.
The desired candidate should possess the knowledge, skills and ability to accomplish the following:
- Evaluate naval architectural or engineering work to determine factors impacting system performance, system compliance, or design specifications.
- Perform calculations to determine the displacement, stability, weight control, or strength of the ship.
- Assess alternate methods in conducting analyses of improved ship modification as part of surface ship engineering.
- Expert level knowledge of NAVSEA Manual No, S9AA0-AB-GOS-010/GSO, Rev “9”; “General Specifications for Overhaul of Surface Ships (GSO) April 2016 edition”
- Expert level knowledge of technical, specification and contractual requirements including NAVSHIPS Technical Manuals (NSTMs), NAVSEA Standards Items, Component Technical Manuals, Military Specifications, NAVSEA Instructions.
- Knowledge of NAVSEAINST 5400.95 and experience writing Departure From Specifications and adjudication of technical non-conformances.
- Expert level knowledge of preservation and corrosion control.
- Prior experience providing waterfront engineering support to tradesmen – Alteration Installation Teams (AITs), Carrier Contract Teams (CCTs), etc.
Candidate should also be familiar with one or more of following data bases:
- NSDER, eDFS, TDMIS, SFIMS, MRCs and DOD Coretl.
Candidate must be physically able to climb ladders and transit decks on Navy vessels and withstand the potentially harsh environments found in shipyards and shipboard compartments. Must hold a current certification or be able to successfully complete certification in OSHA 10 Hour Maritime. The candidate shall be able to comply with all site requirements for safety appropriate to the hazards anticipated.
While effectively assigned to the Virginia Beach, VA office the primary work location will be at a satellite office located in Newport News, VA.
Will perform other related duties as assigned. Travel less than 10%.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Engineering Degree from Accreditation Board for Engineering & Technology (ABET) preferred.
Security Clearance/Naval Facility Access: U.S. citizenship required. Must be able to meet and maintain eligibility for U.S. Secret Clearance and be able to access military facilities, naval shipyards, and private shipyards.
Q.E.D. offers competitive benefits such as: Paid Leave, Medical, Dental, Vision, Short/Long Term Disability, 401(k) retirement plan, Basic Life Insurance, supplemental insurances, and Employee Assistance Program.
Job Contact information: Please contact Kennis Sigmon email@example.com, (757) 802-9457
EOE, including disability/vets